Adapted from Eat Clean by Luke Hines.
Sugar-free, Paleo and Whole 30. Serves 2
What’s in it:
- 2 Large eggplants
- 40ml coconut oil, melted
- sea salt
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers
- 1 garlic clove chopped
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp finely chopped dill
- 1 tbsp finely chopped chives
- 1 small handful of mint leaves
- Sea salt and pepper
- Pomegranate seeds
- Mint leaves
- Lemon Wedges
- Feta (optional)
How to make it:
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Slice the eggplants in half lengthways and score the flesh deeply in a diamond cross-hatch pattern. Generously rub the eggplant with the coconut oil and season with salt. Arrange each eggplant half, cut-side down, on the baking tray on top of a sprig or 2 of thyme.
- Transfer to the oven and roast for 40 minutes or until the eggplant flesh is soft and the skins a caramel colour.
- Meanwhile, make the tzatziki topping. Put the cucumber and garlic in a food processor with the avocado, lemon juice and olive oil and pulse until you get a nice thick, creamy texture. Tip this mixture into a bowl, stir in the chopped herbs and season.
- Arrange the eggplant halves, cut side up, on a serving platter and top with a generous smattering of Tzatziki. Garnish with pomegranate seeds and mint leaves (and feta if including).
- Serve with lemon wedges.